Twitter Updates

Friday, March 17, 2006

kiss me...i'm irish!


in my native land


Stapleton
De Stabaltun

The Stapletons are the descendants of the Normans, who arrived in Ireland, in the wake of the Anglo-Norman conquest in the year 1170. The name is derived from the Irish Mac An Ghaill, which means "Son of the Foreigner". The name was originally established in Counties Kilkenny and Tipperary. The name in some instances, became Hibernicised, and some branches of the name accepted Mac an Ghaill, subsequently, becoming Gall and Gaule. Robert de Stapleton was Sherriff of Waterford in the year 1287; Frank Stapleton (b. 1956) of Dublin, Irish International Soccer Player won 71 caps for the Republic of Ireland between 1977 and 1990.
The name has remained in the South Leinster-Munster region, since it was first established there in the twelfth century. Counties Kilkenny, Tipperary and adjoining ccounties are the most favoured locations of the name.

MOTTO: FIDE SED CUI VIDE.
"Trust, but in whom, take care."

Yep, we Stapletons are Irish indeed.
Happy St. Patty's day, everyone!!!!

5 comments:

Susan said...

Wow, you've really done some research. That's awesome. All I know is my maiden name Day used to be O'Day, obviously Irish, but no ancestory knowledge. I should really work on that.

Leah Billings said...

Happy St. Patty!

Elizabeth Spann said...

Why isn't there a day for zee Germans?? Ohhh, yeah.

Chandle said...

Why am I such a mutt. everyone down here thinks I'm french and calls me shaundell deavore

Anonymous said...

i totally took that picture